Wednesday, December 2, 2009

New Camera and Two Turkey Days!

"Deep Fried Turkey?!?!"



I love turkey. There was never a horrible fear that I would not be consuming any of it this Thanksgiving. However, when I overheard conversations involving deep fried turkey, my ears immediadely perked up and my heart began to race.

"Can you do that?!!!!!"

"Deep fry a turkey?!!!"

"What does it taste like?!"

"What color is it?!"

"Do you have to buy a special bird?!"

"When can we eat it?!"

All of these questions raced through my churning mind and spewed from my stuttering mouth.

Apparently it's something many people do this time of year. It had just never occured to me, but the notion was very...arrousing.
We were all assigned (or volunteered) certain Items to bring. I volunteered veggies. After several days numerous co-workers agreed that perhaps pizza would be best.



Joe and I enjoyed a little pre-party prior to our arrival. I cooked up several petite steaks for us and we watched some episodes of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

When we arrived just after four (our orignal arrival plan was for 3:30, but Joe and I are lazy. Also, I received a desperate call from the host Kelsey: "Please stop by Lotte we need more OIL!!!") When we arrived in their parking garage, we saw everyone waiting desperately urging the oil to heat up to 170 degrees celsius....it took about another hour and 20 minutes to reach optimal conditions. 160 is pretty much 170...right?



All were pleased at the pizzas that were brought. The pizza along with some rolls and an assortment of wines kept us at bay. The blow of a hour and 30 minute wait was somewhat lessened. I have never seen a more resulute group of people. We all new the grandeur that awaited us!

Some could not brave the cold (or didn't get unhealthy pleasure waiting right by the cooking turkey, smelling every sizzle and pop!)



It was the best turkey I have ever tasted. Even the white meat (I am normally predisposed to dark) was so incredibly juicy and satisfying! There were also two wonderful bowls of creamy mashed potatoes. Stuffing veggies, wontons and fried pork was aslo available.



This was all on Saturday. As you could expect, I had a very full social calendar for the weekend. Sunday was spent with Joe again, but with several teachers from other schools I have met on my travels through this city. We enjoyed many fine meats. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie was on the itinerary as well. They were elated to know that I bring it with me wherever I move (seriously, I do).




We spend the day gorging and lying around wathcing other classics. What a fine day to spend my favorite holiday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Peter!! We love to read about all of your adventures and see pics of you!!! And you are a GREAT writer, too!!! Keep it comin'! Miss you!! Anne & all in Vadnais Hts